In light of the public health concerns arising from the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, the State of Emergency declared by the Governor, as well as the National Emergency declared by the President, we will be temporarily changing our Firearms Licensing procedure.
All applicants, RENEWAL or NEW ISSUE will still call dispatch to have your name placed on our waiting list.
Renewals closer to expiration will be called in to submit the following:
- Completed, Signed and Dated Application
- Check or money order made payable to the Town of Swansea for $100.00
- Copy of your ID and Firearms License
You will have your picture taken and will be given a receipt.
**If you are experiencing flu like symptoms, please call and advise rather than coming into the Police Department with your application.
**As long as you complete this process before your expiration, your license will remain active until your license application is approved or denied. If we are given enough notice, you will receive a receipt in time.
NEW applicants are generally exposed to a longer interview process. Also, NEW applicants are required to submit to fingerprinting and move throughout our building to access the fingerprint station. As a result, NEW issue applicant interview appointments will be on a delay as we monitor the current risk to exposure.
Please be aware that we are currently heavily back logged with appointment requests regardless of the current situation.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding to this matter. We will continue to monitor the current situation and will make any necessary changes based on the health and safety of our citizens and staff.
Issued by Appointment Only
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 9:00am to 11:00am
NO Saturday or Sunday Appointments
- Contact Dispatch (508-674-8464) to place your name on the waiting list.
- Be sure to provide a RELIABLE contact number, as you will be contacted by Sgt. Mark Foley as future appointments are added.
- For Renewals: Please get your name on the waiting list WELL IN ADVANCE (2-3 months) of your license expiration date. By doing so you will assure yourself an appointment before your license expiration. In order to keep up with the current licensing demand, we are currently taking renewal requests no more than 3-4 months in advance of your expiration. As long as you have an appointment date and apply before your expiration date, your current license will stay active until your new license arrives.
|Completed Application||Completed Application|
|Photo Identification||Photo Identification|
|Check or Money Order for $100.00 (no cash) (non-refundable) payable to the Town of Swansea||MA approved Basic Firearms Safety Course or MA Hunter Safety Course Certification|
|Renewals age 70 and over are free.||Check or Money Order for $100.00 (non-refundable) payable to the Town of Swansea. $25 for FID under 18 years of age.|
Check Or Money Order Only
Please Read Before Answering Question #4
Question #4: Have you ever been arrested or appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal offense?
Key word, APPEARED, not necessarily arrested. You do not have to list non-criminal traffic offenses.
Having been arrested and convicted of a crime does not necessarily prohibit you from getting an LTC or FID. You CAN be DENIED for not answering the question correctly.
Understand that “ever appeared” includes all adult and juvenile appearances. It does not matter if you were found not guilty or if the charges were dismissed or continued without a finding, you MUST list it on your application. If you do not answer truthfully we can take the necessary action to deny the application. If you have a sealed record, let us know. We do have access to sealed records as well. We will find it.
We will not accept “I forgot” or “They told me my court appearances would not show up”, or “that was so long ago”.
Make any changes now, remember you are signing under the penalties of perjury and you can be denied a license for failing to answer correctly. As a result you could face court prosecution for perjury.